It’s almost that time in America. . .which is odd for me as a Canadian, since Canadian thanksgiving was roughly 6 weeks ago. Ahh well! Here is a recipe for Vegan Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole- adapted from here:
Vegan Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance, melted
- ¼ cup each brown sugar and pecans
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup each almond milk and apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Prick potatoes with a fork and roast in the over for ~1 hour, or until very soft. Remove and let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
2. While potatoes are cooking, mix together all topping ingredients until the mixture resembles a crumble. Set aside.
3. Scoop flesh from potatoes and mash. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Spoon into greased 4 qt. casserole pan, and top with coconut topping.
4. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, covering if necessary if the coconut becomes too brown.